Grilled Steak Tostadas

Mmm I can’t wait for Cinco De Mayo! You bet I’ll be stuffing my face with every burrito, taco, and enchilada I can get my hands on. You see, I have a special place in my heart for Mexican food. I absolutely adore it.

Especially this dish. It’s crispy, light, and flavorful. Everything you could ever want.

Succulent steak topped with salty queso, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and a sweet, tangy homemade salsa. Stacked on top of the greatest invention ever. That being those fresh, crunchy tostadas down below.

Grilled Steak Topping:
Ingredients: (serves 4)
2 New York strip steaks, or whatever kind of steak you prefer
Steak seasoning, to taste
1 cup queso fresco
1 tomato, chopped
1/3 onion, chopped
1 lime
Cilantro, to taste
Sherry vinegar, to taste
Lettuce, for serving
Avocado, for serving
Directions:
In a small bowl combine the chopped tomato, onion, and cilantro. Add lime juice + vinegar to taste. Set aside to marinate. Season your steaks and grill according to your desired well-ness. Let set for for about 5-10 minutes for the juices to set in. Arrange your tostadas and crumble queso over them. Serve!

Homemade Tostadas:
Ingredients: (makes 5)
Heaping 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
Heaping 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour (don’t omit, need for sweetness & texture)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Warm water, as needed (I used about a 3 tablespoons)
Directions:
Mix the flours, salt, and baking powder well in a bowl. Rub in the olive oil well. Gradually add the warm water by the tablespoon and knead into a smooth dough. Divide the dough into 5 equal golf ball sized balls and let rest for 15 minutes. Flatten each ball as thin as possible into round shapes, dusting with all=purpose flour when needed. (Hint: I rolled it as thin as I possibly could and used the flat part of a paper plate to make decent looking circles). One at a time, cook the tostadas in a skillet on medium until it starts to bubble and slightly brown on the side facing down, then repeat with the other side until evenly cooked.

About these ads

15 Comments

1. Chloe, will definitely try those YUMMMAY looking tostadas. Have you tried making you own queso fresco? SO easy and so yummy. Basic ricotta with salt to taste and whatever yummy spices you want thrown in…how about chipotles? I love your enthusiasm for cuisine. Keep going!

• Thanks a lot! I haven’t tried making any of my own cheeses but It’s definitely on my to do list one of these days! :)

• i have a dead simple ricotta recipe on my blog. check it out and give it a shot. it’s great for italian as well, or just turn it into a yummy spread on french bread.

• Thanks! I’ll definitely refer back to your blog when I’m in the mood to tackle making my own cheese ha :)

2. Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)

/  May 3, 2012

I never have steak but I definitely need to add more into my diet! These looks delish.

• I try to have steak once a month at least. It’s expensive but I get so sick of chicken and fish sometimes ha.

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)

/  May 6, 2012

I should do that, too!

3. Yum yum….we had tacos tonight, love Mexican food!

4. Ooh those look delicious! I haven’t had a tostada in ages, I seriously need to sort that out. I think if I lived with you I’d be a good two sizes bigger Chloe, your food always looks so amazing :-) (I have a craving for steak now…)

5. Same here, I love Mexican food! :)

6. Oooh, these look amazing! Tostadas always seemed so difficult to make, but your recipe doesn’t seem that bad! I love that you used steak on these!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

• Hey! I'm Chloe. 18 years young. Aspiring chef/baker. Food enthusiast! Welcome to my world of all things food where I document recipes and experiences as I go through my culinary journey. Enjoy! :)

• Contact/Social Media

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

• disclaimer

All recipes on this website have been tested and tasted by me. I'll never post a recipe I wouldn't eat or that's not good enough for me, for you all. If you try any of my recipes please feel free to leave a comment on the post to tell me how it turned out or give any constructive criticism.