Brown Sugar Pecan Scones

An amazing combination.

I made these for my English Literature class because I did a project on British food/teas. I wrote a long MLA style essay about high teas vs. low teas, how Britain’s pastries are similar/different from America’s, and everything you could want to know about the ever so popular scone. These delightful pastries were for the ‘visual’ aspect of the project. And they went over big.

With a hint of buttery pecan and molasses-y brown sugar, these scones are crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. They’re crumbly, yet fairly moist. They have the right hint of sweetness that is perfect for serving alongside tea or coffee.

Brown Sugar Pecan Scones:
Adapted from All Recipes
Ingredients: (makes 8)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup dark brown sugar, plus more for topping
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup whipping cream, divided
1/2 cup chopped raw pecans
Directions:
Preheat oven to 450°. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender (I used my hands, and ran it through my fingers) until crumbly and mixture resembles small peas. Freeze 5 minutes. Pour in pecans and add 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of cream, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently press or pat dough into a 7-inch round (I pressed it into a cake pan, then transferred each wedge individually). Cut round into 8 wedges. Place wedges 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lines with tin foil. Not a greased baking sheet*. Brush tops of wedges with remaining 2 tablespoons of cream just until moistened. Sprinkle brown sugar over each one and rub it in. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden.

Pip, pip, cheerio! ;)

*The bottoms are burnt in some of the above pictures because I used a greased baking sheet on my first batch. Just use non-stick tinfoil instead. If the bottoms happen to burn, scrape the burnt stuff off gently with a spoon or knife. No one could even tell!

About these ads

15 Comments

1. ‘High Teas v. Low Teas; a comparison between American and British patisserie’ sounds like a fantastic essay. Your scones looks like they are sailing perfectly between the traditional elegance of a British teatime spread and the gutsy deliciousness of an American teatime treat. Thanks for sharing the great recipe. For me, British tea time is all about being at home with family, especially grandparents, and having a chat while eating something delicious, homely and a little nostalgic. What was your conclusion on American v British pastry?

2. Thank you! That’s great to hear your input on what it means to you as someone who’s experienced it. My only real experience with tea parties are the ones I used to have when I was little with all my friends. It’s probably one of my fondest memories! My conclusion is we both have a similar yet different concoctions. I showed how crumpets are similar to English muffins, and scones are like a sweet biscuit that’s more crumbly. I also wrote about how mincemeat pie isn’t the kind of pie we’re used to with a sugar-laden fruit filling. There’s actual meat and it can be sweet or savory. I’m pretty sure that blew a couple peoples minds! haha

3. I bet if you added maple, these would be perfect for fall.
    I’m jealous of you classmates!

4. brown sugar and pecans make the best combo! i’m sure you got an A ++++ on the paper :)

5. I love pecans! Starbucks should seriously sell these scones!

6. What a cool paper to write, I bet you learned a lot of course and I’m sure it went well :) I am a big fan of scones… so mmhmm yep to these! As usual so good looking and your photos are beautiful

7. ok you have me here. i’m a HUGE baker and lover of all things sweet (if you haven’t noticed). but, as much as i love scones this is one thing i have never made. must put this on my to make list asap!

8. Your paper sounds so interesting! Especially from my point of view as an English girl :-) If you ever visit the UK you need to go to Betty’s Tea Rooms, you’d love it there. They serve the cutest little sandwiches, cakes and scones served on tiered stands :-) I’d love to write a paper about food in some form, I’m sure it went well your food writing is always brilliant. Those scones look so tasty!

• Thank you! I definitely want to travel to the UK someday. I would probably love the tea room. I used to have my own tea parties when I was little. It was pretty legit. Finger sandwiches, various flavors of tea, big hats, and frilly dresses. I’d send out formal invitations and everything haha. The history of tea is so interesting! Food really tells so much about ones culture.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

• Hey! I'm Chloe. 18 years young. Aspiring chef/baker. Food enthusiast! Welcome to my world of all things food where I document recipes and experiences as I go through my culinary journey. Enjoy! :)

• Contact/Social Media

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

• disclaimer

All recipes on this website have been tested and tasted by me. I'll never post a recipe I wouldn't eat or that's not good enough for me, for you all. If you try any of my recipes please feel free to leave a comment on the post to tell me how it turned out or give any constructive criticism.