Watermelon Salad

The Food Network or The Cooking Channel are always on at my house.

Sometimes it’s for backround noise, other times it’s for entertainment, but it is always on for inspiration. Like this watermelon salad I watched two people make on chopped. After the judges raved on how delicious it was, I just couldn’t get it out of my head.

It’s simple, easy, and refreshing. A great balance between sweet, tart, and earthy. It’s a more mature palate type of lemonade.

It’s exquisite. As a side dish, appetizer, or in a big bowl with a giant fork on its own.

It’d be perfect to bring to a potluck, BBQ, or to serve for this upcoming Memorial Day.

Watermelon Salad:
Ingredients:
1/4 a watermelon
1/2 a fresh lime’s juice
Handful of fresh basil
Directions:
Dice the watermelon and put it into a large bowl. Dice the basil pretty small and add it into the bowl of watermelon. Squeeze the lime juice into the bowl and mix with your hands until the watermelon is fully covered in the basil and lime. You can make this the night before to let the flavors marinate or serve right away.

About these ads

16 Comments

1. Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)

/  May 24, 2012

Sounds wonderful! Beautiful pictures.

2. I’m loving the pictures.. it’s nice to make something so simple look so elegant. you should put these on your pinterest, people would love it! come check out our food/lifestyle blog – https://www.facebook.com/NeedleandFork

3. Watermelon is one of my favorite fruits! I love simple salads like this and I am definitely making this soon!

4. This looks so refreshing! Food Network is definitely the best :)

5. I had something similar to this at WF the other day… but with arugula added which i didn’t care for. I want to try this version, so flavorful and refreshing!

• I love arugula but I think it’d be a little too peppery for the sweetness of the watermelon. Basil is very refreshing as well, so you should give it a try when you get a chance!

6. Doh, last comment went to spam :(

7. Om nom watermelon! I used to be afraid of eating it when I was a kid because my grandpa told once that if I ate any of the seeds, a watermelon plant would grow in my tummy — and, well, damn — I was about 6 and TERRIFIED, haha!

This salad looks amazingly bright and fresh. Have you ever tried watermelon with feta or goats cheese? It sounds a little weird at first, but they’re actually really good together!

• No, but I bet goat cheese or feta would be a great addition! I’ll have to try it next time. My parents told me that too, when I was little! About pumpkin seeds too. I actually thought it was kinda cool to grow watermelons inside of me. Unlimited supply! Hahaha. That was my mindset as a youngin’ :P

8. I have never had watermelon except in a fruit salad. I am going to try this one of these days. Cheers, Tara

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

• Hey! I'm Chloe. 18 years young. Aspiring chef/baker. Food enthusiast! Welcome to my world of all things food where I document recipes and experiences as I go through my culinary journey. Enjoy! :)

• Contact/Social Media

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

• disclaimer

All recipes on this website have been tested and tasted by me. I'll never post a recipe I wouldn't eat or that's not good enough for me, for you all. If you try any of my recipes please feel free to leave a comment on the post to tell me how it turned out or give any constructive criticism.