Cinnamon Sugar Croissants

Wow. Soo I haven’t posted in over a week. Sorry about that! Life has been leavin’ me pretty busy lately. Between balancing work, friends, family, spending time with my boyfriend, and doing everything I need to do to get ready for college. I’ve still been cooking but just haven’t had the chance to take pictures, edit, and post about them.

Anyways, I recently came across Erika’s blog Cannella Vita and we decided to do a recipe trade. She gives me some of her favorite recipes to try out, and I give her mine and we’ll blog about it and exchange notes. She’s a high school baker and let me tell you. She is legit. You can just tell by her blog.

I made her cinnamon sugar croissants and ohhh my goodness they’re amazing. I’ve already made them twice. I love how the cinnamon sugar makes the outside layer crispy and the inside is warm, buttery, and flakey. Although it takes some time and love, these classic comfort food pastries are most definitely worth it. These are 100% better than store bought; they just melt in your mouth!

My only complaint is that they were burnt on the bottoms both times but I promise if you eat the whole thing you can’t even taste it. And if you do, just eat the tops. That’s the best part anyways- with all of the scrumptious cinnamon sugar ;)

*Actually, just figured out the reason mine were brunt is because I used non-stick tin foil instead of parchment paper to make them on. So just make sure you have some parchment paper on hand!

Cinnamon Sugar Croissants:
Original recipe from Cannella Vita who adapted it from Best of Fine Cooking: Breads
Ingredients: (makes about 15)
For the dough-
4 cups all purpose flour (plus more for rolling)
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
1 tablespoon + 1 scant teaspoon instant yeast
2 1/4 teaspoon salt
Butter Layer:
1 1/4 cups cold, unsalted butter
Egg wash:
1 egg

Cinnamon Sugar-
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Directions:

Day 1-
Combine all of the dough ingredients in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix on low speed for 3 minutes, and medium speed for an additional 3 minutes. Place the dough on a lightly floured plate, wrap well in plastic, and refrigerate overnight

Day 2-
Cut the cold butter lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick slabs (about 3 slabs per stick) and arrange the pieces on a sheet of parchment paper to form a 6×6 inch square. Top with another sheet of parchment and pound the butter with even strokes with a rolling pin. As the pieces begin to stick together, use more force and roll it into a 7.5×7.5 inch square.Trim the edges off and pound them into the center of the square.Refrigerate while you roll out the dough.Unwrap the dough and lay it on a lightly floured surface. Roll it into a 10.5 inch square.Take the butter square out of the fridge and unwrap and place it on the dough so that the points of the butter square are centered along the sides of the dough square. Fold the flaps of dough over the butter and press the edges together to completely seal the butter inside the dough.Lightly flour the top and bottom of the dough, and roll it into an 8×24 inch rectangle, focusing on lengthening rather than widening. Pick up one short end of the dough and fold it over the dough, leaving one third of the dough exposed, and roll it over once more (fold the dough into thirds)Freeze for 20 minutes. Repeat the rolling and folding process (steps 10-12) 2 more times.Cover the dough and refrigerate overnight.

Day 3-
Unwrap and lightly flour the top and bottom of the dough.Roll the dough into a long and narrow strip (8×44 inches) *hang in there! its a great arm workout!After you have finished rolling, check to make sure that there is enough excess dough on both ends to allow you to trim the ends straight and allow for the remaining strip of dough to be 40 inches long.Lay a tape measure lengthwise along your dough. On one side, mark the dough in 5 inch intervals. On the other side, mark the dough at 2.5 inch intervals. Make diagonal cuts by positioning a ruler at the top corner and the first bottom mark (2.5″ side). With a knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough diagonally along these lines to form 15 triangles.Shape the croissants by making a 1/2 inch notch in the center of the short side of each triangle (this gives them a crescent shape). Hold the dough and gently elongate it without squeezing or compressing. Lay the croissant on the counter with the notched side closest to you and roll the dough away from you toward the pointed end. Flare your hands outward as you roll to make the “legs” longer. Bend the two “legs” toward each other in a crescent shape and place on a baking sheet (I recommend around 5-7 croissants per sheet). Brush the croissants with egg wash (place leftover egg wash in the fridge to use later). Proof the croissants for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (Or proof them overnight in the fridge, and let them come to room temperature for about an hour before baking in the morning). Brush them once more with egg wash. Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Bake for 20 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway, until they have a nice golden brown color and darkened edges.

To make the cinnamon sugar- add some before rolling and after the second egg wash.
To make them pbj- add a small dollop of peanut butter & your favorite jam or jelly in the center before rolling.

Oh and you can also fill them with things, like pb&j. That I ate for lunch one day. And enjoyed every last minute of it.

About these ads

32 Comments

1. gah homemade crossaints?! YUM

2. Oh my! Those look amazing, I would absolutely love one right now :-P

3. Peanut butter and jelly croissants.
    Genius.

4. They look absolutely beautiful!!!

5. Love the PBJ idea as well, oh and I nominated you for the One Lovely Blogger Award on my blog! (because you are one lovely blogger :)) Check it out http://cannellavita.blogspot.com/2012/06/one-lovely-blogger-award.html

6. Lovely flakiness! Very nice folding job…

7. These sound delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe :) Good luck with your college preparations!

8. You’re going to college! You’re going to have such an awesome time! I love college!!!

I just hope that you don’t have to live in dorms with a meal plan, because it would be such a pity to put all our culinary genius on hold all semester! Where are you going to school (I missed that post)? In Boston, yesssss? You know you want to go to school in Boston. And we can hang out. And you can teach me how to be an awesome baker and I can teach you how to… um…. what do I do that’s useful? Organic chemistry, I guess?

*Shudder*

Anyway, I need to make that carrot cake from a few posts down for my mom – it looks absolutely amazing and she loves carrot cake, so if I can pull it off half as well as you did, I’ll so be the favorite daughter. Haha, jk! :P

• I wish I could go to Boston! But I have Florida pre-paid which means I have full tuition paid for if I go to college in FL. I’m going to a state college about ten minutes away from my house (which means I’ll still be living at home and teaching myself how to cook) to get my AA in business, get my basics down, and a basic degree under my belt. Then I want to go to culinary school in Floirda (about two hours away) to get my AA in culinary arts. Then, hopefulllly save up enough money to go to CIA in New York to get my BA degree and maybe if I’m lucky get to spend all 4 years at CIA and skip FL culinary school. That’s maaa plan.

9. You’re my hero! Loveeee croissants more than anything. No joke.

10. Very nice! Hand-made croissants are incredibly laborious and finicky (scaled butter in the dough, arrgh!), and were always my very LEAST favourite thing to do in school, so I think it’s awesome whenever somebody ELSE goes to the trouble of making them.

If you ever do it again, you could try to make pizza croissants — insides with basil, marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella and cheddar! And then you tuck a very thin slice of salami or pepperoni between the last roll at the very tip of the triangle (so then, when you flip it over, and bend the “legs” together to make the crescent shape, there’s a pair of little pepperoni “ears” sticking up on the top — kind of hard to describe…) — nom!

11. I get what you’re saying! That sounds delicious. I’ll definitely have to try making them into pizzas! I actually enjoyed making these. Mainly, because the steps were separated out into 3 days so I didn’t get too overwhelmed. Plus, when you take a bite they’re soo worth it!

12. Ginia

/  June 10, 2012

These look to die for!!! Thank you for all the details, labor of love sounds right but worth it. How about putting parchment paper down on your baking sheet first? I didnt see you mention it, could keep the bottom from overbaking/ sticking…..

• I figured out that’s why I burnt it and it is in the post write below where I say they were burnt haha. Thanks for the advice though! Also, thanks for stopping by :)

13. Oh my,homemade croissants… That sounds like heaven!
    I’ve never dared to try them myself though because the dough-part sounds so complicated,plus,I am not the biggest fan of rolling out. Bad experiences with sticky dough,ya know? :P

• Ooh yeah. I know what you mean about not wanting to make a dish because of bad experiences with it. You should definitely try to give it another shot sometime though! Thank you as well! :)

14. these are fabulous! ahhh you’ve done it again! i can’t wait to try these!!! :)

15. Jessica

/  June 10, 2012

These look incredible. I’ve never been brave enough to try baking croissants but it looks like you’re a pro at them!

16. I don’t even know if I’ve ever had a croissant, but these look so tasty! Homemade is pretty much always better, even if it’s a lot of work. I’ve had some not so great experiences with dough and yeast so I almost gave up on making cinnamon rolls but then I discovered a super easy way to make them and it was so worth it!

• Oh my goodness you need to try a croissant asap! They are the best things ever. That’s good you found a way to make homemade cinnamon rolls! What would life be without ‘em ;)

17. Oh man, I can’t believe you made croissants! I know how tedious and time-consuming they are so I commend you! Now do you have any leftovers? Cause I’ll be right over :)

• Haha thanks! Unfortunately I didn’t have any leftovers. They all got consumed within the day I made them. Definitely worth the time and effort! :)