Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Scones

Oh boy, what a week.

I really wish I could of done a fathers day post but the pineapple upside-down cupcakes I made for him weren’t exactly picture perfect. They were definitely delicious, though! I really do love my dad and am so thankful for everything he does for me and my family.

So those delicious pineapple upside-down cupcakes and these scones resulted in my first oven fire. The butter and brown sugar from the cupcakes bubbled over onto the bottom of it. I forgot about it the next day and started the oven to 450 to attempt to make these scones. Next thing ya know, my first kitchen fire that results in my mom saying “I knew this day would come soon.. it’s time I invest in a fire extinguisher.” (Even though FLOUR puts out the fire just fine, by the way). Which made me think my relationship with cooking/baking is gettin’ pretttty serious now.

The next day when I was soo excited to make these raspberry white chocolate chip scones. What? Raspberry? Yeah, that’s what these were supposed to be in attempt to make a red & white festive breakfast idea for this upcoming 4th of July. Turns out the raspberries were too juicy for the batter which resulted in a very mushy scone. Yuck. My mom then turned it into a bread pudding by re-baking it with some eggs and milk. It tasted good, but we both kinda hate bread pudding. So now it’s just sitting on my stove with two bites eaten out of it. Oh well.

Alright alright, now more about these scones. They’re the best scones I’ve made yet. Period. They were so worth all of the turmoil to get to them. There’s a slight tartness of the dried cranberries in this dense yet pillowy pastry and I just love searching for the indulgent burst of white chocolate chips. Using a minimal amount of white chocolate makes this traditionally buttery and lightly sweetened bread perfect for either breakfast, a mid-day pick me up, dessert, or all three.

Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Scones:
Ingredients: (makes 8)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup whipping cream, divided
1/2 a vanilla bean or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup white chocolate chips
Directions:
Preheat oven to 450°. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender (I used my hands, and ran it through my fingers) until crumbly and mixture resembles small peas. Freeze 5 minutes. Pour in cranberries & white chocolate chips and add 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of cream + vanilla, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently press or pat dough into a scone pan (if you don’t have one, put the dough in a standard sized cake pan then cut round into 8 wedges and place wedges 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lines with parchment paper.) Brush tops of wedges with remaining 2 tablespoons of cream just until moistened. Sprinkle a little sugar over each one and rub it in. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.

About these ads

27 Comments

1. Lisbel

/  June 21, 2012

Wow, your scones look Deeeeelicious! Going to have to give them ago although I don’t think mine will look quite like that…

• Thanks! You definitely should. Let me know how they turn out if you do! All the credit to how pretty the look goes to my scone pan. Really helps out a lot!

2. Why does everything you make always look so delicious???? Gahhh I want these :)

3. YUM!!! Good job. At least your kitchen fire did not involve grease. That’s when it gets ugly!

4. I agree with Haley’s comment! Every time I visit your blog I become hungry :-P I love the combination of cranberry and white chocolate chips so I’m sure I’d love these :-) I really must make some scones sometime soon!

5. calmyourbeans

/  June 21, 2012

Reblogged this on calmyourbeans and commented:
    These look divine!

6. Totally pinning this. I was just thinking I wanted to make scones again!

7. Reblogged this on foonyfunny and commented:
    Look so good, cant wait to try these out!!!

8. Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my ‘coming out’ post! And these look awesome, I *actually* need to try to make them, instead of just drooling as usual. :P My trademark baked good is scones and everyone in my family loves when I make them, but I always make plain ones. These will mix things up!

• You’re welcome! And thanks! You should definitely try out different combos! It’s fun to experiment with different flavors in scones. Even though sometimes you end up with mush haha.

9. Mmmm, these look so tasty and perfectly shaped too! I think the pineapple upside down cupcakes look amazing too but then again I’m obsessed with anything pineapple!

• Thanks! I used a scone pan so that really helped. I’m definitely gonna work on those cupcakes.They were so good but just fell apart when I tried to take them out of the pan. I love pineapple as well!

10. Cranberry and white chocolate just work sooo well together, and these look like perfection lady :)

11. These scones (and those cupcakes!) are making my mouth-water! Your baked treats always look so good!

12. Oh gosh this has to be the best combination. I love white chocolate and cranberries together but I’ve never had it in the form of a scone! Love it!

13. These look amazing! I’m totally jelly of your handy-dandy scone baking pan, too — I’ve been eyeing on on Amazon since forever. I think white chocolate and cranberries are a great combination (especially when orange zest joins the flavour party, too)! :)

• Oh man, I shoulda added orange zest now that I think of it! I definitely recommend buying that scone pan of Amazon! It’s so worth it. I get perfect scones and they can be used for other things like cornbread!