Pumpkin Crumb Muffins With Cream Cheese Glaze

I’ll be honest here. These muffins were never meant to be.

These were plan B. My impromptu backup plan.

Plan A? That would be my first attempt at making a pumpkin roll. When it was time to roll the cake part it just.. completely fell apart. Since I still had some leftover pumpkin and didn’t get to use the cream cheese for the filling, I figured I’d come up with something else. Like muffins. With cream cheese glaze. And a delicious crumb topping like the one I made on that scrumptious blueberry pie.

I wasn’t expecting much. Just something I could bake up real quick and bring to work to my co-workers so they wouldn’t be mad at me for not bringing the pumpkin roll I promised them.

Then.. I took a bite and realized this should have been plan A all along. These muffins are moist and bursting with pumpkin flavor. The cream cheese glaze really compliments it (uh, what doesn’t cream cheese go good with??) and the crumb topping adds a pleasant, sugar-y crunch on top.

I’ve always said I’d take a cupcake over a muffin any day, but these muffins give cupcakes a run for their money.

Pumpkin Crumb Muffins With Cream Cheese Glaze:

1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin puree (I use Libby’s)

For the cream cheese glaze-
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Milk, for thinning

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. First make the crumb topping- stir together the butter, flour, and brown sugar, and salt and squeeze the mixture into clumps with your hands and scatter on a baking sheet. Freeze for at 30 minutes. In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in one egg at a time. Beat in the vanilla and pumpkin until combined. Then, beat in the dry ingredients just until there aren’t any dry spots- being careful not to overmix. Scoop the batter into a lined muffin pan using a regular ice cream scooper or just filling it 3/4 of the way full. Top the batter with the frozen crumb topping. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Let cool completely before glazing. To make the glaze beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Add milk by the teaspoons for thinning. Glaze and enjoy!

About these ads

21 Comments

1. Yummy and beautiful pictures. Loved the recipe too! thanks for sharing!

2. AJG

/  October 2, 2012

Those look great! Thanks for sharing!

3. I love cream cheese icing – it must go so well with these.

4. Oh goodness these look so good and so perfectly autumnal! The cream cheese icing sounds lovely :-)

5. They look perfect! love the golden orange color and the cream cheese drizzle! I’d love it if you could share these for the Bakefest event on my blog: http://www.funandfoodcafe.com/2012/10/blog-event-bake-fest-12.html

Thanks,
    Mansi

6. i’m so into pumpkin everything right now! these look fantastic, as usual my friend.

7. I’m planning to attempt a pumpkin roll tonight. I hope this doesn’t happen to me too! Good thing I now have a backup :)

8. Joey

/  October 8, 2012

Sounds wonderful !!!

9. Thank you so much for sharing this muffin recipe! They were delicious!!!

1. (cup)cakes | Pearltrees
  2. Stumbling Over Chaos :: Linkity laments the end of summer
  3. Pumpkin Crumb Muffins with Cream Cheese Glaze
  4. Monday Coffee Break: The Best of the Weekend | Like this Try That

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

• Hey! I'm Chloe. 18 years young. Aspiring chef/baker. Food enthusiast! Welcome to my world of all things food where I document recipes and experiences as I go through my culinary journey. Enjoy! :)

• Contact/Social Media

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

• disclaimer

All recipes on this website have been tested and tasted by me. I'll never post a recipe I wouldn't eat or that's not good enough for me, for you all. If you try any of my recipes please feel free to leave a comment on the post to tell me how it turned out or give any constructive criticism.