Homemade Snickers Bars

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

What are you doing/dressing up as tonight? I have to work tonight so I’m bringing lots of homemade goodies for my co-workers! Homemade Snickers being one of those goodies.

Snickers are my halloween candy of choice (oh, and Reeses!) so I just had to make these homemade snickers bars from Jessica.

These taste exactly like a classic snickers bar just a million times better. Don’t think it’s possible? Well it is. Here’s proof.

So rich and fudge-y!

I’m going to be honest, these weren’t the easiest things to make for me. I burned the nougat (twice) and ruined one of my pots. My mom’s been scrubbing and soaking it for hours and informed me we definitely need to invest in a new one. These were totally worth it, though!

Alright, enjoy your Halloween! I’m off to go the Chef’s Warehouse to get another pot haha :P

Homemade Snickers Bars:
Original recipe from How Sweet It Is
Ingredients: (makes one 9×13 inch pan)

For the bottom chocolate layer-
1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter

Thoroughly grease you baking pan. Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour into the baking dish and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

For the nougat layer-
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cup salted peanuts, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in sugar and milk, stirring until dissolved and bring to a boil. Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in fluff, peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Turn off heat and fold in peanuts, then pour over bottom chocolate layer. Let cool completely.

For the caramel layer-
1 14-ounce bag of caramels
1/4 cup whipping cream

Combine ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. Let melt, stirring occasionally, until smooth – this took about 10 minutes for me. Pour over nougat layer and let cool completely.

Top chocolate layer-
1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter

Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour over caramel and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving, then cut as desired. These can stay at room temperature or stay in the fridge. Personally, I like them room temperature best because of how gooey and fudge-y they get, but Jessica prefers them refrigerated.

*Note: for best results, buy one of the half-sheet aluminum cake pans at the grocery store. That way, you can pop the entire square out and cut from there!

About these ads

14 Comments

1. I just can’t say how awesome you are enough. I feel like every recipe you post I’m like, “Oh my god, that looks amazing!” But I just don’t know what else to say. lol.

2. I’ve seen this recipe around and haven’t gotten up the courage to make it… thanks for taking the leap! They look AMAZING. I think my keyboard is covered in drool…

On a side note – depending on what exactly is wrong with the pan, I have yet to encounter something that a little “Bar Keepers Friend” couldn’t fix. http://bit.ly/TX7ljl If you can’t find it at the regular store I know Home Depot sells it.

• They are amazing! I definitely recommend you try them. The pan is basically black on the bottom. We keep scrubbing and scrubbing but they black stuff is really tough. Thanks for your help, though! I need to get that stuff! I’m notorious for burning pots when making caramels and candy haha.

• yeah the barkeepers friend should take care of that no problem!

• Ok good! I just went to the store and to replace to pot would be $60. I’d much rather spend $3 on that barkeepers stuff. Thanks so much! :)

3. Oh wow, those look so deadly – that also means they must be delicious.

4. Snickers are my favorite! These must taste even better homemade! :)

5. OMG YOU MADE SNICKERS BARS!!! They look SO gooooood – way better than those packaged Snickers! :-D

6. Treena

/  January 5, 2013

I will be trying these this weekend… I don’t like peanut butter, but I LOVE almond butter so I will try it with that… wish me luck!!

• Good luck! I’m sure they will turn out amazing with almond butter! Sounds like a delicious spin on the classic Snickers.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

• Hey! I'm Chloe. 18 years young. Aspiring chef/baker. Food enthusiast! Welcome to my world of all things food where I document recipes and experiences as I go through my culinary journey. Enjoy! :)

• Contact/Social Media

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

• disclaimer

All recipes on this website have been tested and tasted by me. I'll never post a recipe I wouldn't eat or that's not good enough for me, for you all. If you try any of my recipes please feel free to leave a comment on the post to tell me how it turned out or give any constructive criticism.